Tuesday 18 December 2012

MAKING AND HANDLING YOUR MISTAKES

In our daily lives, we make mistake.  From the smallest mistakes to the biggest blunder, to err is human. 

But how do you react when you are told of your mistakes?

Do you like, take it with a smile and later take a quiet moment to reflect on your mistakes?

Do you thank the person who pointed the mistakes to you?

Do you promise yourself that you would not repeat the same mistakes again?

If you do, then you should give yourself a pat on your back.  Not many people can make mistake and happily admit the mistakes and move on.

It is very common to find people who, when his/her mistakes are pointed, would retaliate.  The person would grumble.  The common words that you would hear would be:
  • "how come I am always wrong?" 
  •  "Ada saja salah I, buat sendirilah!"
  • "They are jealous of me because I am good.  So they always try to find my mistakes"
  • "I have been doing this for years, it has always worked well."

There are also people who just don't learn from their mistakes.  They keep repeating the same mistakes and blame others for the recurring of the mistakes.  They are always right, while others are always wrong.  This is not a good way to live your life.

To me, the best way to handle my mistake would be to reflect on the things that I have done.  Take a quiet moment.  Think it through.  May be I was careless this time.  May be I was too stubborn to listen to other suggestions.  Perhaps I was rushing in making decision.  Could be I was too blunt when I said what I had to say.  It was possible that I did not make an informed decision. 

When I sit down and reflect on my mistakes, it brings self realisation that I should learn from my mistakes.  It also makes me more prepared if I face the same situation again in the future.  Then I plan how the mistakes could be avoided.

Let's learn from our mistakes.  Mistakes make us wiser, more competent, more tolerable and a better person if we handle it correctly.  Below are some wonderful quotes that I found on mistakes:

Albert Einstein said "anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

“Don't confuse poor decision-making with destiny. Own your mistakes. It’s ok; we all make them. Learn from them so they can empower you!”
Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free

“Well, we all make mistakes, dear, so just put it behind you. We should regret our mistakes and learn from them, but never carry them forward into the future with us.”
L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Avonlea

To myself, I am saying "I can only make the same mistakes once."





No comments:

Post a Comment